Thursday, September 24, 2009

Gather a Shampoo


This week I am happy to present to you "Gather a Shampoo."  That's right, this is a shampoo in bar soap form.  I have been using a shampoo bar on my own hair since May, and I can never go back to using the bottled stuff.  I decided to formulate my own recipe for a shampoo soap because my current shampoo bar is on its last few lathers.

There are actually many advantages to using a homemade shampoo bar over your typical big company brand shampoo:

*  You can pronounce all the ingredients in a homemade shampoo bar.  You know exactly what they are and do not have to worry about what sorts of chemicals are going onto your hair (and into your body).  Many of the chemicals in synthetic shampoos will actually strip hair of its nutrients, leaving it dry and brittle.

*  There is less packaging involved with homemade bars, and there is no factory waste involved in there production.  Homemade shampoo bars are simply better for the environment, and by using one you are adding an element of sustainable living to your bath routine.

*  They are more economical than store bought shampoo.  You may end up spending a bit more for your shampoo bar initially (depending on what kind of big company shampoo you usually buy), but in the end you may just save money.  When cared for properly, shampoo bars last longer than big company shampoo.  It's much easier to use only the amount you need for your hair, so you're not squeezing out a lot of extra shampoo with each lather.  The shampoo bar I'm currently using has lasted me for about 5 months, and I'm guessing it will last me one more month.  You also do not need to use conditioner with a shampoo bar because the oils in the bar have their own conditioning properties.  That's one less product to buy.

* By making homemade shampoo bars a regular part of your bath routine, you are supporting independent artists and craftsmen (hopefully supporting Gather a Lather).  Your soap has been made ethically by folks who enjoy making soap, as opposed to being made on a factory assembly line by machines.  Profits go directly to the person who made your soap rather than being split up among big businesses and middle-men. You are also supporting an American business in a rough economic season, and there is something patriotic about that.

Now that you have seen the wonderful benefits of using a homemade soap, I will unveil the ingredients in my shampoo bars:  Olive oil; Coconut oil; Castor oil (High castor oil gives the shampoo bars the steady lather you want in a shampoo.); Avocado oil; and Jojoba oil.

I also added  lavender, rosemary, peppermint and eucalyptus essential oils.  This combination smells wonderful, and I think it is a scent that both men and women can enjoy.  I did research on essential oils reported to be good for hair and scalp, and used these in this soap.  Here's a little about the essential oils found in Gather a Shampoo:

Lavender:

This essential oil is found to be effective for hair loss prevention in many people. A regular massage to the scalp for about a week's time results in hair regrowth. Lavender oil can be used independently or can be combined with some other good oil for better results.

Rosemary:
This magnificent herb is widely respected for its value as a hair and beauty aide. Rosemary can also be used in the bath, on the face and as a body or scalp massage.


Believed to stimulate hair follicles and hair growth, rosemary is generally believed to slow down or even permanently hold off premature hair loss and gray hair.

Rosemary oils and concoctions will soothe and condition dry, flaky scalps. When applied in a concentrated form to the roots and scalp, rosemary is helpful in clearing many cases of dandruff.

Peppermint:

Peppermint helps to stimulate blood flow to the root of the hair. This helps the hair to receive proper nourishment and to grow correctly. Peppermint makes the scalp tingle and this is what stimulates the blood flow to the hair.

Eucalyptus:

Eucalyptus oil has many of the same anti-bacterial properties as tea tree oil, but smells a lot better.  I love the smell of eucalpytus, so woodsy, refreshing, and soothing.  It has also been used as an ingredient in dandruff shampoo.  My husband has occasional dandruff flare-ups, and I wanted to create a shampoo that would work for him.

I hope you are as excited about my new shampoo bars as I am.  These will be ready to sell in about a month.  I only have 10 bars for sale, so let me know if you want one (through e-mail, or comments).  If you contact me, I'll let you know when it's ready, before it hits the shop.

2 comments: